WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Friday, May 10, 2024

Perseverance pays off, star prize, Fly Flatts.

 

                                1st sighting, Yipes, thats no Common Sandpiper.






                                    Wow, Wood Sandpiper.







                                    Short Eared Owl
                                    Greenland Wheatear



                                    A first for me at this site.









                                    1 of 4 Ringed Plover
                                    Single Dunlin



Perfect conditions this morning at Fly Flatts with full cloud cover on a light SW>2 at 8 degrees and good visibility.
    A few target birds in mind for this morning but the last one on my mind was Wood Sandpiper.
Walking the south bank I was watching 2 Common Sandpipers on the rocky shoreline when a third came briefly into view before dropping back below the rocks. As it reappeared and gave me a second brief view Ruff came to mind but I was sure I'd seen a white supercilium.
     Suddenly it flew from behind the rocks to show itself on the SE corner of shore. Wood Sandpiper.
From then it continued to give crippling views as it probed along the shore among the Ringed Plovers, Redshanks and a single Dunlin.
  A new species for me at Fly Flatts and only 3 previous records for this site, these being :-
August 1942, May 1959 and July 1964. Courtesy of Halifax Scientific Society.
    My last sighting of Wood Sandpiper was 21/5/1995 at Fairburn Ings so I may be struggling if I have to wait another 30 years for my next one. A great bird which I believe to be a 1cy.
      Although most of my watch was taken up with this bird I managed a Short Eared Owl, Grey Wagtail, 6 Wheatear, one male showing the characteristics of a Greenland, though did'nt manage to get a primary count, plus all the usual species.
     A dreaded light easterly for morning with a full mashing of fog.
BS