WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Camera talk.


                                                  A question I keep getting e mailed about is what photographic equipment do I use when out birding so for anyone interested in photography I,ve put together a list of tackle I use.
                  I always swear by Canon equipment but mostly because that is what I have always used and got to know but no doubt Nikon and Sony are on equal terms with Canon, each one having its own advantage points.
                  I have 2 Sigma lenses whilst all the others are Canon , the reason for this is price wise with the Canon 600 being around £16,000  so I have the Sigma 150-600mm which I am happy with as it does my job at nothing near the price. Other than that I have already wrecked 2 Sigmas out on the field so if I had a Canon I would,nt dare use it.
               When I started with SLR cameras over 40 years ago they were all film cameras with manual focus and you had to use a light meter to set the exposure. How things have changed now with DSLR
having mega fast auto focus and a menu of settings to suit every occasion along with super zoom lenses and image stabilization. The Canon 7d Mk2 can shoot off an amazing 4 frames per second in continuous shooting mode when tracking a flying bird with a lock on auto focus system.

My everyday weapon, a well padded Sigma 150-600 mm
           Gets out to 960 mm on a 1.6  crop factor camera.
 Canon 70-200, a nice light lens, good for flight shots and woodland.
Canon 300 mm fixed. A good sharp lens and easy to hand hold.
  Sigma 28 - 70 mm zoom. Good to carry as a 2nd camera for
   skeins of Pinkies or a blast off of geese from a field.
       Canon 18-25 mm zoom. General purpose for landscape etc.
  Sigma 1.4 converter. Takes the 600 mm out to 1344 mm
                                          for those far off birds.
            Canon 50 mm fixed for close up macro work,
                                     butterflies, flower heads etc.
My number 1 tool. Canon 7d Mk2 1.6 crop factor camera body.
         Amazingly fast auto focus.
                          Spare and 2nd camera bodies. Canon 7d Mk1, Canon 20d
                                                                   and Canon 400d.

Another hot sticky day as long as you kept out of the E>5 with clear blue bird less skies.
                                                   Another attempt at Oats Royd found me a nice male Blackcap with quickly moved on as I transferred from bins to camera. otherwise it eas just the usual Willow Warbs and Chiffchaffs whilst the place was alive with Chaffinch, certainly no shortage at this site .
                                                          No sign of yesterdays Wheatear on Roper Lane and just Skylark and Pied Wags on Old Guy Rd cricket pitch.
BS