WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Monday, July 1, 2019

A new month along with a new species for Fly Flatts . Avocet x 3

0800 hrs at Fly Flatts and one of those mornings when you think, "what am I doing here".
The sky was dark and misty with horizontal drizzle blasting over the water on a near gale force
W>6 gusting 7. When I was unlocking the top gate I almost turned and ran but thinking that this is my sort of weather that usually brings in the birds I got my head together and parked up in the boatyard for some form of shelter.
                                                   First job was a very wet dog walk firstly to check the south shore and ponds and then on the opposite way to check the east banking where all was quiet producing 1 Dunlin and a few Common Sandpipers.
                                                 Back at the car behind the shelter of the tailgate all was looking grim so whilst deciding what to do I poured a cup of tea and luckily looked across to the south track where 3 white birds were coming over low from the east and partially in the mist.
They stood out as brilliant white with black wing tips showing pointing me in the direction of Kittiwakes but as I got the bins on them they were 3 Avocets.
                                               By now they were going away from me low down whilst I was up on the highest point in the boatyard so I was looking down on them from behind with the 4 black patches standing out on their wings and back with long trailing legs. I,d say all 3 were adults as they showed no brown on the wings,  just brilliant white.
                                            This all happened in the space of 20 seconds and although the camera is usually up on the tripod ready ,today it was on the front seat of the car due to the weather although I probably would,nt have got them in the time allowed and dark conditions.
                                          I,m surprised they did,nt land and kept checking the shoreline in case they doubled back but no joy and nothing this afternoon when the sun and blue sky had appeared but still the strong wind.
                         It just goes to show what can come over this area and makes you wonder how much we miss. If I,d have been scoping the east bank or scanning the water they would have gone through unseen. Its all down to luck.  Its 24 years since my last local Avocet.
This brings my wader species count this year at Fly Flatts to 15 so far.
BS