WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 1900 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Thursday, August 20, 2026

Rough morning, Ruff bird, Ogden.

 

                                    5 Herring gulls present

                                Gt Crested Grebe in the rain
                                        Common Sandpiper
                                    Bonus bird, Ruff


                                    Juvenile male going by the neck plumage.





Ideal weather conditions this morn at Ogden for waders with full cloud and heavy rain throughout 
on a light NW>3 at 13 degrees.
  With thoughts of the heavy overnight rain, and continuing this morning, the hard baked shore around the water would be soft and muddy making it ideal for waders, that were brought down overnight, to stay and feed.
     Very few gulls present with around 40 LBB, 5 Herring, 8 Common and several Black Headed which all stuck mainly on the east shore. The Gt Crested Grebe was on the water along with 3 Cormorant and 4 Tufted duck. Lots of Swallows over the water but all sticking i the air and none landing on the railings as my last visit.
    After a full circuit of the water I caught up with the long staying Common Sandpiper on the west bank and by this time the gulls were back on the east bank so a final check of them before I left. After I'd looked through the gulls I turned to walk back up to the car park when I heard a wader call that I wasn't familiar with. A quick turn around and back to the gulls where a scan through caught site of a tallish wader which my first thoughts were Redshank. After wiping the steam and rain from my bins I caught up with the bird further along the shore, Ruff, a first for me at Ogden.
   A dry part sunny day tomorrow on a light NW with a starting temp of 9 degrees peaking at 13 degrees.
BS