WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 1900 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Friday, August 14, 2026

A lively migrant morn and another 1st for Fly Flatts.

 

                                Around 300 big gulls, mostly LBB, very few Herring.



                                        North shore


                                    2 of 5 Wheatear over on the Robin Rocks
                                    Wheatear
                                    Stonechat in moult
                                Yellow Wagtail still present
                                In with several juv Pied.



                                    Yellow and Pied
                                    Checking LH Wag for white.

                                A site first, Redstart

Another full sun morning at Fly Flatts at 19 degrees but a good W>4-5 making it cool and pleasant enough for walking. With the south shore quiet I walked the west bank with a view of scoping the NE corner and north shore. Around 300 gulls along the waters edge, mainly LBBs with just a low number of Herring and around 30 Black Headed, but not a wader of any description to be found anywhere around the shore. The family of  6 Kestrels were spread out along the length of the west bank.
     Walking back along the west bank there was a lot of migrant activity down below the banking and across on the bracken area, which is usually good for Whinchat at this time of year, but not this morning. Around 12 juv Pied Wagtail were working the fence line and whilst scanning through them I picked out a juv Yellow Wagtail, presumably yesterdays bird, which was busy feeding in with the Pied, dropping into the grass and back onto the fence.
    Further along the fence were 4 Stonechat and as I was watching these I got a flash of a red tail so immediately thought Black Redstart, which I get each year at or around this site. A dash back along the banking to get a bit closer I was surprised to pick up a Redstart, a first for me at this site. It flew further along the fence line towards the north end but not before I managed a couple of  distant record shots, a good finish to the morning.
    A better forecast for tomorrow with cloudy sunshine on a light NW starting at 12 degrees and peaking at 19 degrees.
BS