WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 1900 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Sunday, August 16, 2026

Mega Swallow move, Ogden Reservoir

 

                                        Swallows galore early doors.

                                    Estimated at over 200




                                    An invite for the juv Peregrine


                                        A lower count of gulls

                                        Very few Herring




                                    Juvenile Blackcap.





A wet start to the morning with light rain showers on a light NW>2 at 15 degrees with full cloud.
    With paddleboarders heading for Fly Flatts I paid Ogden a visit to check the gull situation. As I walked across the promenade a couple of Swallows came over and then the flood gates opened and the sky was black with Swallows and a few Sand Martins. I think this is the most Swallows I've ever seen in the sky together swirling around over the trees and golf course with several landing on the overflow fencing. A juvenile Peregrine flew above the Swallows but only made a couple of half hearted attempts at them before heading off towards Soil Hill. After watching the Peregrine disappear into the distance I looked back and not a Swallow in sight. 
     A walk along the west bank was cut short due to swarms of flies and midges due to no wind in the shelter of the trees so a quick turn around and back to the promenade. From here I could see the Common Sandpiper on the NE shore whilst 3 Cormorant, 10 Canada geese, 3 Heron and the Gt Crested Grebe were present.
     Around 100 LBB plus a few Herring and Common gull plus the usual Black Headed all on the east bank as opposed to the usual west bank. A group of 5 Lapwing appeared at the NE end before I left.
    Full cloud for tomorrow on a light Sou'wester at 12 degrees peaking at 19 degrees with a chance of rain after midday.
 BS