WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Monday, March 26, 2018

Back to Fly Flatts

1530 hrs and another session at Fly Flatts with target bird Wheatear which again failed to materialize
                                                             A cool W>4 as I arrived with sunshine and 50 % cloud cover but late on in the watch the wind dropped making it quite warm.
                                                                No Osprey bonanza today as expected but I,ll be happy with one sighting a year, I once went 4 years without one. Plenty to keep me on my toes in the hour I was up there, especially when the Lapwings kept going up but I think mostly they were just squabbling amongst themselves. Several distant Snipe up drumming, mostly on Hollin Hill and Fill Belly Flat area whilst 2 Buzzard showed briefly mega high and distant.
                                                           Two Redshank were mobile and 3 small waders flew north past the wind turbines but too distant to I.D. though going by the size and jizz I,d say probably Dunlin.
The target bird for Fly Flatts at the moment is Wheatear but none as yet and the cold front this weekend could slow them down. A good check of the reservoir for Common Scoter after a grapevine report of 1 today on a reservoir to the west of the area but very early as yet, I, ve only ever had 1 April bird, the rest being during the summer months.
                                                                    The new floating jetty is to be erected by the sailing club shortly so I,ve told them I want some Tern nesting platforms on it but I dont think that will come off.
We tried to get some floating islands on TMR years ago but YW said it was a pollution risk.

c170 Canada
2 Greylag
2 Redshank
2 Buzzard
3 Dunlin sp ?
9 Mallard
4 Snipe
2 LBB gull
1 Skylark
sev Mipits and Lapwings
tons of Frogs spawning
BS