WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Friday, March 30, 2018

A very very Good Friday, stopping off at Fly Flatts for a sandwich.

/
           First sighting, obvious Tern jizz.
                                 Is it Common or Arctic ?
                                           Eck, its a Sandwich Tern
                  Yet another mega for Fly Flatts



             The bird remained there for the 2 hours I was there
 and was still present when I left.




A late kick off with Grand daughter duties so arrived at Fly Flatts at 1530 hrs on a warm afternoon with 90 % cloud cover and a slight E>3 increasing  E>4.                                                                   
Thinking the pair of Shoveler I found at Leeshaw  this morning could,nt be beaten today I set my sights on Wheatear and Common Scoter, neither of which developed.                                             
Halfway along the south shore I scanned the water to find Canadas, 2 Greylag and the usual Mallards along with 2 LBB gulls on the water. A further scan found a smaller gull on a buoy well out and to the north of the clubhouse .                                                                                                                        Going by the jizz of the bird  I could see it was a Tern by the way it was crouching and as I went all last year with no Tern at all either a Common or Arctic would be a bonus. All I had to do now was find which sp it was. That was a job for Big Bertha or walk back to the car for the scope.                                                               Finding a better vantage point I shot some pics off and was amazed to find the blown up images revealing a black bill with yellow tip, black legs and a tuft on its head . I was looking at a Sandwich Tern which is a mega if not first for Calderdale area and certainly a new bird for Fly Flatts.                                                                                                                                              Luckily the light was good as I was working at 960 mm so I managed to get some satisfying shots.   
Just after I,d put the bird out on the grapevine I got a call from NCD who said he and DF had just driven along the top road and had seen me by the water not knowing I was looking at a Sandwich Tern. I told him the bird was still present and its location which was followed by a screech of brakes and clouds of smoke from DFs tyres as he burnt rubber getting back to the site. Luckily they got onto the bird which is always a pleasing result for the finder when someone else sees it.                              So in 7 days  Fly Flatts has produced 2 Kittiwakes, 1 Osprey, several moving Buzzard, 3 Dunlin and a Sandwich Tern plus a pair of Shoveler just over the hill at Leeshaw.                                                                BS.