WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 HRS.

ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES, INPUT ETC WILL BE WELCOME AND CAN BE SENT DIRECT TO THE COMMENT BOX OR
E MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, ALTERNATIVELY
TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com


Friday, February 17, 2012

Queensbury Today

A dull morning rapidly deteriorating by midday turning to low cloud, W>4 and heavy drizzle till present time.
The only birds of note today were 21 Fieldfare over at last light heading towards the old station to roost. All winter thrushes now seem to be grouping ready for the off and a cross over is building with daily reports of Curlew coming in.
Surely the Soil Hill Snow Bunts can,t hang around much longer before they head back to their native breeding ground. I think this is the first time we,ve ever held over wintering birds and even the Linnets have stuck it out, there must be something special about that hill.
Hopefully there,ll be a few eyes scouring Ogden this weekend for NKs 2 Barred Crossbill, when these rareties turn up they always seem to hang about a while.
BS

3 comments:

DJSutcliffe said...

At least 3 of our lads have been up to Ogden today ona search but drew blanks on Crossbills. I think they are leaving them for you to find this weekend!!

NigelK said...

The curse of the single birder I find, is that a lot of exceptional birds pass through and are never seen by others.
I have come to accept that a bird like this will always have some doubt over it. I am not a record commitee type (I dislike many) but if I were I would demand further evidence.

Brian Sumner . said...

Never mind the record committees deciding what youve seen, I go on the records and reliability of the birder and had there had been doubt with this bird you wouldnt have put it out.
I,ll be up there tomorrow pm all being well and bring you back a photo, says he hopefully!