WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Sunday, January 7, 2018

Fly Flatts first light and my worst nightmare.

                                    Sunrise at Fly Flatts


                                   An icy west banking
                                          Stonechats in the frost
                                          1 of 4 at the feeding station




0800 hrs and just coming light at Fly Flatts with an icy cold E>4 and unfortunately only 10 % cloud cover and sunshine. The sun is nice as it rises but then becomes a nuisance for visibility and photography . Roads were treacherous on the drive from Cold Edge Rd with heavy freezing, even the camera started playing up when I was working at minus 1 degree taking the Stonechat pics and had to be warmed up under my coat.
                                                A single Canada was on the water along with 38 Mallard which came in from their roost at Dean Clough whilst 2pr Stonechat were down by the feeding station, the photographed male showing interest in the Nyjer seed. Surprisingly quiet otherwise with empty skies.
                                                  The nightmare was as I returned and went back up the park with the pup. I,d been waiting for Pinkies over all morning with conditions being just right so I slipped my work coat on that always has the bridge camera in my pocket. As soon as I got in the park I heard the familiar sound of geese and looking up a skein of around 70 Pinkies were coming over very noisy, low down and the sun full on them, a perfect shot.
                                                                Then a cold chill ran through me as I grabbed for the camera and it was,nt there . Unbelievable, I carry the camera everywhere and the first time I need it its missing. As a last resort I grabbed the phone and aimed it skywards but could,nt even see the geese with the light reflecting on the screen. To make it more annoying the geese were heading >NW straight for Fly Flatts. It was good to get my first Pinkies of the year but would have been much better with photos.  All I have to do now is find the camera ?
BS