WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING

BRIAN SUMNER.
WELCOME TO ( WEST YORKSHIRE BIRDING )
KEEPING BIRDING LOCAL.

BLOG UPDATED DAILY AROUND 2000 hrs.

FEEL FREE TO SEND ANY COMMENTS, QUERIES OR QUESTIONS DIRECT TO MY E.MAIL AT THE ADDRESS BELOW, OTHERWISE TEXT OR WHATSAPP. 07771 705024.


CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM.

ALL IMAGES ARE STRAIGHT FROM THE CAMERA WITH
NO PHOTOSHOP TUNING. TAKEN ON J PEG.

E MAIL ADDRESS :-
Briansumner51@hotmail.com

NOTE !!
No sightings of Roe Deer, Fox, Hare or Badger will be mentioned on this blog throughout the year and links will be removed from other blogs giving the whereabouts of these mammals due to the rising influx of poaching, long dogging and lamping by sick individuals.
BS




Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fly Flatts/Cold Edge Dams

                                 Fly Flatts in the fog,      North shore

                                       Looking south over the water into the fog
                                                 NW corner
                                                            SE corner
                        southern shoreline
                                           SE corner.

Fly Flatts 1430-1630 hrs. Fog then mist, strong WSW>7 gusting 8 Torrential rain throughout.
This has got to have been the worst conditions I,ve ever done Fly Flatts in with driving horizontal rain the whole time I was up there but thought it could be worth it at this time of year.
Started at the NE end working all around the shoreline to the SE corner which turned out to be where all the activity was.
The southern shore line was alive with grounded Meadow Pipits all sticking to the sheltered end of the water.
As I got near the se corner I got a quick wader call and a Turnstone, spooked by the Mipits that I had disturbed, lifted up from behind stones on the sandy beach and lifted over the wire fence to land again at the far side of the boathouse and out of site.  Also further along that banking was a single Black Headed gull and a single Curlew.
With visibility low and the rain still pounding at me I walked up the track and back along the top road to  the car parked at the northern end managing to get past all the druggy cars without a confrontation.

By now I was completely waterlogged to the skin so I thought, might as well check Cold Edge Dams out, cant get any wetter.
The mist had lifted when I got to the dams but still the heavy rain blowing across the moor so it was a quick check and away.
As I climbed the banking 2 Wigeon must have been right in the se corner of the water so as soon as I appeared they launched themselves and headed off down the Calder Valley.
Otherwise things were quiet although I didnt check the top dam and surrounding area, enoughs enough so back home for some dry clothes.
To make it worse, as I got home the sun came out, the rain stopped and the skies turned blue, so did the air!!!

Just had it pointed out to me that my comment box was on the blink but sorted it now, thanks HC.
BS